<-CLICK HERE FOR SCOOBY TECH. POSTS ONLY! CLICK HERE FOR GRAN TURISMO POSTS ONLY!->
1998 Impreza Turbo Project Car + Expanding WRX Knowledge Base!

Tuesday 18 May 2010

Cleaning up the Roof-Scoop mess!

Whoever glued the aftermarket roof-scoop on used not epoxy resin, but silicone bathroom-sealant so, unsurprisingly, Trevor who I bought the car from said it flew off on the motorway during his reign.

This left a horrible horseshoe of dirty silicone where the scoop had been bonded and I thought it was high time to get rid of it.


I used tar-remover to soften the sealant [just xylene paint-thinner basically] and gently shaved it away with a square-cut razor blade. [not a Stanley-knife blade!] I then used a kitchen-scourer and more tar-remover to get the fine bits off. This left patches of light scratches and discoloured paint so I finished by rubbing in a load of T-Cut, which has made the horseshoe shaped patch barely visible close up and restored the silver.


At first I thought the paint would crack off before the sealant did so I was surprised when I got it sorted so quick. Still needs a bit more T-Cut and elbow grease, but either way what an improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ScoobyLab + Propjam 2010/11