<-CLICK HERE FOR SCOOBY TECH. POSTS ONLY! CLICK HERE FOR GRAN TURISMO POSTS ONLY!->
1998 Impreza Turbo Project Car + Expanding WRX Knowledge Base!

Saturday 9 October 2010

360° Spirit-Level in Engine Bay

The skip at work really has yielded some great items to fab-up car parts from, as well things like lightweight-alloy bolts [just like the ones available from Demon Tweeks, £5.99 for 5!] to build them with. This trick multi-directional spirit-level was no exception - it's basically a circular spirit-level with a ring in the centre so the bubble is level in every direction. I couldn't see it thrown away, so I've fixed it in place next to the intercooler to add a neat little instrument to the engine-bay...

It's handy to have for finding some level ground to check oil/fluid levels properly or work on the car, but most importantly it's ideal for making sure each of the four coilover-shocks are set at the same levels for balancing the car's suspension! In theory it should work a charm, so I'll have to get the front two TEIN shocks on asap... I know I keep saying this.

I found a nice place for it on the right intercooler-bracket, got the car on a flat piece of ground and, with the help of a normal spirit-level, found the right angle to mount it level. It's set in an aluminium-bracket so I had space to put a small self-tapping screw through it into the intercooler-bracket. I finished with lashings of ally-tape to stop it from tilting, as even the slightest movement will misalign the bubble.

I'll have to re-calibrate the position of the spirit-level again when I get the front coilovers on and all four corners will need to be set to the absolute bottom so the car is completely flat, but it'll make it so much easier to get the balance right when lifting the car later! Techy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ScoobyLab + Propjam 2010/11