<-CLICK HERE FOR SCOOBY TECH. POSTS ONLY! CLICK HERE FOR GRAN TURISMO POSTS ONLY!->
1998 Impreza Turbo Project Car + Expanding WRX Knowledge Base!

Monday 21 June 2010

Sparco Carbon-Fibre Pedals!

With the serious MOT work out of the way it's time to throw on some more tacky parts, starting with these ultra-light, 100% carbon-fibre racing pedals from Sparco. I've always wanted a set of these range-topping pedals, but figured £55 was a bit much. Luckily I tracked down an unused set on eBay for just £24 delivered - win.

There's one small catch though, the set only comes with 8 of the 12 nuts+bolts and one of the stick-on grips is missing. Oh well, I doubt I'l be using the grip tape anyway [it'd ruin the look!] and I got away with just using 2 bolts for each pedal [for maximum weight-reduction, obviously] so I've 2 spare anyway.

Its clear to see why these are for motorsport use only - form definitely follows function here. I've always thought the teutonic carbon look is fantastic, but the finish of the lettering, screw-holes and the entire back surface is pretty poor. I guess these aren't a styling piece then, but the real beauty of the carbon is that they're ultra light, weighing less even than the rubber OEM pedal covers and are a fraction of the weight of Sparco's alloy-pedals [like on my BMW], which cost half as much. That's the difference and damn it feels good to be elitist!

As with all bolt-on pedal sets, these were a doddle to fit. My rubber-pads had already completely worn away so it wasn't hard to find somewhere for the 2 drill-holes on the steel pedal in the space either side of the lever itself. I'd planned to cut the long plastic accelerator pedal down a bit for the carbon pad, but its a tilting one, so I just managed to cover the whole thing with the Sparco and didn't bother - it interferes with the brake pedal though unfortunately. I thought I had the clutch pedal bang on too, but its a bit close to the footrest on the left so I can't quite squeeze my foot down to it - this might be in need of a quick move to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ScoobyLab + Propjam 2010/11