<-CLICK HERE FOR SCOOBY TECH. POSTS ONLY! CLICK HERE FOR GRAN TURISMO POSTS ONLY!->
1998 Impreza Turbo Project Car + Expanding WRX Knowledge Base!

Sunday 20 June 2010

MOT Pass!!

By the time I got back to Seaview motors it was a couple of days too late to get the re-test for free, so I had to fork out another £40 quid, but he very kindly agreed to only do the partial test and check only what the car had failed on anyway. The current MOT still didn't expire for another 6 days, but it turns out I don't lose any of it as this latest certificate is valid from the day of the test, but runs until a year from the current end date [16th June 10 - 22nd June 11] - very nice.

First up was the emissions, with the car recording less than half the original CO2 figures just from the addition of a sports-cat, [although I'm sure the oil/filter change played it's part too]. The guy also reckoned the exhaust had dropped in volume sufficiently, so that was £235 well spent and this cat doesn't kill power so it can stay on.

We got the Scoob up on the ramps and I talked him through the mechanical work, then I jumped in and we did a quick check off all the lights, all things A ok. He did mention that the headlight beam had been lifted just enough, although both were still out of line and should be checked in future, but he didn't even prescribe any advisory notices, so excellent.

If I'd bought the standard shocks instead of the TEIN coilover setup then I would have got the car through for about £400 [or even <£300 if I found a used OEM exhaust]. As it stands I've spent about £900, but hey ho, progress is progress! The standard £115 shocks would have got me through the test, but compressing the old springs back on would have been more involved and the front shocks might need doing soon anyway. I also planned to lower the car at a later date, so thats out of the way too. Besides, doing all the work myself has saved me one hell of a packet and I have the great feeling that no ruthless mechanic has rattled the parts on :)

The true positive outcome of this MOT is that the car is rid of those dodgy discrepancies. It's obviously been pushed through some bent MOTs in the past, with no fog-lights or catalytic-converter, so it's good to know I've brought the car back into check for next year, or the next owner. Time to get back to the bodywork and buy a new front spotlight!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ScoobyLab + Propjam 2010/11