<-CLICK HERE FOR SCOOBY TECH. POSTS ONLY! CLICK HERE FOR GRAN TURISMO POSTS ONLY!->
1998 Impreza Turbo Project Car + Expanding WRX Knowledge Base!

Sunday 30 January 2011

Selling the Scoob!

There's so much stuff I still want to do with the car - relocate the aerial to the roof and fit a shark-fin, bigger brakes, STi intercooler etc, + finish my damn carbon wind-diffuser - but the running problems that have started to develop, as well as the general running costs, have led me to the decision of selling the one and only Scoob. :(

I've been looking at diesel BMWs for a while now and eventually bought a W-reg 530d, which I'm now mainly using. Although I could afford to keep the Impreza if I took it off the road, I'm worried that if I keep it garaged somewhere the project will fall by the wayside and there just isn't space at home. My work doesn't help either - they've got me doing 6 days a week now and I'm struggling to fit everything into Sunday alone. The final straw came with fitting the PAS-pump, when family arrived and I spent the entirety of their visit fiddling with the Scoob. I know this level of commitment is required in a proper project, but I don't feel like I'm moving forward with the car any more. The last few frugal months have still been spent on repairing the car's faults, not saving for the next big mod and it seems this is set to continue until summer when it's MOT time - and who knows what else they might find wrong with her. All my modding inspiration is being postponed indefinitely and to be honest this has killed my enthusiasm.

To summarise the faults:

The £65 PAS-pump did not cure the steering whine so thats obviously the rack itself which are £100 for the cheapest used one and hellish to fit. It also didn't fix the ticking noise so that could now be anything - the water-pump, oil-pump, alternator, cam-belt or cam-pulleys etc...

The engine is still losing coolant after fitting the new radiator. It needs topping up every few weeks by a litre or two, although it's never since overheated.

The boot leaks. I've tightened the LED-lights in as much as possible and taped up around various places, but there is still water getting in, which pools in the spare-wheel well after a rainy few days. During the day the condensation from it fills the rear windscreen and windows. Worst of all, my amp and subs are often running with condensation and the carpet was full of ice over Xmas. Limp.

There's a knock from the front suspension, maybe a trailing arm, which can be heard when cornering over a bump at low speed or up a slope.

There is a squeaking noise coming from the n/s rear wheel. I would hope its just a sticky brake, but it could be a wheel bearing. :(

So the car is going on eBay. I've written a nice spiel for the advert [which leans mainly to the cars positives I'll be honest] and I'm starting the bidding at £1000, with a buyout price of £1500. Not bad I reckon just for the value of the parts on her, but the average 100k Scoob isn't going for much more than a grand and mine has just rolled onto 141k so we'll see how it sells.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ScoobyLab + Propjam 2010/11