<-CLICK HERE FOR SCOOBY TECH. POSTS ONLY! CLICK HERE FOR GRAN TURISMO POSTS ONLY!->
1998 Impreza Turbo Project Car + Expanding WRX Knowledge Base!

Monday 7 February 2011

SCOOBY SOLD!!!! - End of an era!

Put the car on eBay for £1500 buy it now and there were people watching it within the first 5 minutes, so I left it an hour and came back to find it sold already! The buyer was, predictably, a Scooby breakers called subaru_uk, but I'd given my phone number on the listing and had two texts from others offering £1200 cash.

The buyer arranged to meet the following evening and wasn't bothered about viewing it in the dark, but we gave the car a good clean anyway. I took the subs out along with the Autoleads wiring kit that came with the car - they are so expensive in Halfords these days, £50+, but I left in that lovely carpeted boot install I made - it's a shame about the boot leak, the wood is probably going damp. I did give them the Kenwood DVD player setup that I also got with the cart though - I just couldn't ever figure the complexity of the wiring out, but maybe the buyer will have more luck. I also threw in the spare black front-bumper and a few other bits.


The buyer kept texting saying they were held up and eventually at 11pm two young lads from Rochdale turned up. I knew they we're familiar with Scooby's and they started with the questions straight away, mainly about the engine overheating, so I assured them it did not, but kept the coolant leak quiet - I'd just topped the system up with neat coolant so they've got ages. I drove one lad round the block in it and I couldn't hide the steering-whine, which they guessed was the PAS-pump - I didn't mention that the pump was new and hadn't got rid of the whine - and they spotted a few other flaws.

In the end we agreed on £1350 and at exactly midnight the car left my ownership. Considering the car's age and the faults that have developed I'm overjoyed, seeing as slightly newer, nicer condition Scoobs with less miles were selling for that price. I only paid £800 for it last year, so it's nice to know I've made some money on a car for once [my 3 Series M3 replica went for £200 in the end]. I know I've sunk a whopping £2000 into modifying and servicing this car over the last 12 months, so technically I've made my biggest ever loss @ -£1450, but it was worth every penny just for the smile on my face of having owned the gas-guzzling, 4-wheel drive, flame spitting turbo car I've always wanted. I'm sure you'll agree though, fuel prices now are a bad joke, so I'm finally jumping onto the diesel train...

P.S The lads from Rochdale also mentioned that they weren't after the car for parts, but were in fact looking for one suitable for racing. They wouldn't give any more details about the racing, so the less said the better probably lol, I just hope that tired rally beast goes down in a blaze of glory and not rotting away in a Police impound somehwere...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ScoobyLab + Propjam 2010/11