<-CLICK HERE FOR SCOOBY TECH. POSTS ONLY! CLICK HERE FOR GRAN TURISMO POSTS ONLY!->
1998 Impreza Turbo Project Car + Expanding WRX Knowledge Base!

Monday 26 April 2010

Quick + Dirty Boot Install...

Decided to make a neat but cheap install to hold my heavy subs in place without having to screw through the under-tray. Having already bought the electricals, this tidy install didn't cost me a penny to make...



I got hold of a large sheet of thin plywood being thrown out at work, laid the Subaru boot-mat over the plywood and drew round the mat to make a template. I then cut the shape of the boot-mat out with a jigsaw.

This won't fit into the boot in one piece, so I cut across the wooden floor left to right just before the point where the floor starts to widen out. The back-piece now forms a fixed base for the subs to sit on, where the front-piece can be still be lifted out to access the spare wheel. The subs can only go back a certain amount before the width of the twin-box hits the corners of the rigid section under the parcel shelf, so I measured the optimum depth of the back-piece while still allowing enough room up front to life the spare wheel out. The subs are still proud of the back-piece by about half a cm, but this makes a nice lip for the front-piece to slide under.

I cut a section from the left side of the front-piece about three-quarters of the way along to become a base for the amp to sit on, which is also fixed in place. The entire right side of the front-piece lifts out and I drilled two holes and inserted a blue cord to make a handle to lift it, which was an old lanyard-cord, also scavenged from the skip at work.



I screwed some 2cm x 4cm strips of boxwood along the underside of the back-piece, (which were, along with the screws again filched from the skip at work) and two long strips at the left side that continue forward to the back of the boot for the amp-piece to screw onto. I finally put two strips on the right front-piece, one either side of the spare-wheel well so the different floor heights match up. This meant I could drill holes for all my wiring and hide it away underneath the wooden boot-floor, as shown in the pics below, a really neat touch.



So there you go, reasonable install at nil cost.. and no more sliding sub-box! I have now also got hold of a roll of some very nice light-grey acoustic carpet from, yes you guessed it, the skip at work hehe, so I'l be covering up the cheap plywood look as the summer gets going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ScoobyLab + Propjam 2010/11